Thursday, April 1, 2010

Farewell, Black Oxford

After much agonizing and research, I've finally come to the conclusion that the Black Oxford apple tree has fire blight. I've suspected it from the first year I had it, but I couldn't get any "experts" to come out and confirm it.


So, last night, after work, I did the kind thing and cut it down.



How sad the small pile it made...


...fitting into a grocery bag with room to spare.


I've stuck the bag in the garage with the thought that once the wood dries I can burn it in the woodstove.

Next I'll have to do something with the stump, because it will probably continue to sprout. I can either dig it out (ugh), or paint it with RoundUp, like I did the honeysuckles two years ago. Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Oh how sad. Poor little tree! Our pear tree has some dreaded disease which I have yet to identify, but I'm fairly certain it faces the same fate as your little apple. It's amazing how bad I feel about cutting down a tree - even a sickly one.