Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ah...the Weeds

Okay, it's not all weeds, but there are plenty.

First up on the docket is the bluebirds. They have taken up residence in one of the boxes in my yard - hooray! They eat lots of insects and help keep pests under control.


Blue-eyed grass - there are more than one! I will have to head out with the field guide to see which species I have, but here's a nice close-up of the flower. It's not a weed, although many folks treat it is as such because it will grow in lawns that are left "untended." This is a native wildflower and one I am always thrilled to see in my yard.
The lupines have started to bloom. Ah, the luminous lupine!


And here it is, the 2010 Veg Garden, weeds and all:


As you can see, the spaces between the beds have really started to grow. Back in the garden's first year, these spaces had been killed off, sort of, by being under black plastic for months. The garden was beautiful in that first year. But now the paths have had 3-4 years to recover and recover they have. I had a wonderous crop of gigantic dandelions lining each path.


These trellises, in case you were wondering, are the ones I spent the last week erecting for my peas, and already the peas have begun to climb! The British Wonder are living up to their name by being the most vigorous growers so far.


Ah, chives. Love 'em in all sorts of foods, but boy can they take over if you don't keep an eye on them. The flowers have only just started to open in this patch. The great thing about chives is that the whole plant is edible. The next time you make a salad (green salad or potato salad), or whip up a batch of mashed potatoes, toss a few chive flowers on top for an attrative edible decoration.


I also have a love-hate relationship with buttercups. I love the flowers, they are quite beautiful, but they are extremely aggressive weeds in the garden. Unlike clover, sheep sorrel, plantain, chickweed and even dandelions, buttercups resist uprooting with a tenacity that would put shrews to shame. And they send out tendrils that sneak in everywhere, forming a thick carpet that is well-nigh impossible to remove. They are also indicators of poor soil. I suspect that their presence is a big clue as to why the soils in this section of the garden smell "sour" - like an anaerobic compost pile. I've added all sorts of ammendments over the years, but I still get whiffs of sour soil. Maybe some day, if I'm still here, I will finally get the soil improved and healthy.


The lilacs have started to blossom!


And the azaleas around the house are in full swing. Lovely.

No comments: